More than 300 million people speak French on the five continents. French is also the only language, alongside English, that is taught in every country in the world. France operates the biggest international network of cultural institutes, which run French-language courses for close on a million learners.
Then the question goes, why do we learn French?
An ability to understand French provides access to an alternative view of the world.
- First and foremost, learning French is the pleasure of learning a beautiful, rich, melodious language that is often called the language of love. French is also an analytical language that structures thought and develops critical thinking, which is a valuable skill for discussions and negotiations.
- The ability to speak French and English is an advantage on the international job market. A knowledge of French opens the doors of French companies in France and other French-speaking parts of the world. As one of the world’s largest economies and a leading destination for foreign investment, France is a key economic partner.
- France is the world’s top tourist destination and attracts more than 87 million visitors a year. The ability to speak even a little French makes it so much more enjoyable to visit Paris and all the regions of France and offers insights into France’s culture and way of life. French also comes in handy when travelling to French-speaking parts of the world.
- Speaking French opens opportunities to study at renowned French universities and business schools, ranked among the top higher education institutions in Europe and the world.
- French is an easy language to learn. There are many methods on the market that make learning French enjoyable for children and adults alike.
- French is a good base for learning other languages, especially Romance languages (Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Romanian) as well as English, since a significant percentage of English vocabulary is derived from French.